Oral Care Tips for a Healthy Mouth
Good oral health does more than give you a healthy smile. It can increase your self-confidence, give you better success in careers and relationships, and change your appearance. It can even make those around you happier.
Staying on top of your oral health doesn’t have to be difficult. Here are some tips to ensure you enjoy all the benefits of a healthy mouth!
Practice Good Preventive Oral Care
- Make sure you are brushing your teeth at least twice each day with a fluoride toothpaste (to strengthen tooth enamel), and floss tat least once every day.
- Change your toothbrush every two to three months, or sooner if it shows signs of wear. A worn out brush will not clean your teeth properly.
- If you are a smoker, quit! Not only is smoking detrimental to you overall health and well-being, but it can stain your teeth yellow and make you more prone to developing gum disease. It also increases your risk of developing oral cancer.
- Visit your dentist at least twice each year for examinations and cleanings, of more if your dentist recommends it.
- Have x-rays done at least once each year. This will enable your dentist to spot problems while they are still small and easier—and less expensive—to fix.
- Ask your dental hygienist for tips on proper brushing and flossing methods.
- Take your children to the dentist early—as soon as teeth start to appear—to set them on the course for lifelong good oral hygiene.
Develop Habits That Help Keep Your Mouth Healthy
- If you can’t brush soon after eating and drinking, chew sugar-free gum to help clean your teeth and gums in-between meals.
- Finish your meals with a cube of cheese to reduce the impact of acids from foods damaging your teeth.
- Eat a healthy diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals. Incorporate plenty of fruit and vegetables as well. This will help prevent gum disease.
- Avoid snacking between meals, and keep sugary foods and drinks out of your diet as much as possible to help prevent tooth decay.
All of the above will go a long way in giving you a smile you are happy to use—and use often. If you still feel like your smile could use improvement, contact Filson Gentle Dentistry for cosmetic dentistry in Stillwater, MN, and we can help you get the smile you should have been born with!